The old song by The Carpenters says “there’s no place like home for the holidays.” As we
near the end of 2020, these lyrics have added significance. With Covid-19 cases on the rise,
many families have chosen to stay at home this holiday season. While it may be tradition to
travel to family in other parts of the country, or to have a holiday at your favourite holiday
spot, it might be time to re-look these traditions. Staying at home this holiday season
doesn’t mean you cannot celebrate and enjoy the Christmas season. There are fun,
affordable ways to make the most of your holiday time.
Have a safe, activity-filled holiday season:
- Do your Christmas shopping early. Many families have made the decision to spend
wisely this year. Instead of splurging abundantly on gifts this year, choose items that
are meaningful and necessary. Make gifts at home – nothing beats a sincere hand-
made gift. If you do decide on gift shopping, do it early. Avoid large crowds at
shopping malls. Pick the time when the shops are quiet to do your shopping.
Consider purchasing your gifts online. You will also be less tempted by attractively
packaged items. This shopping includes food items. Buy in bulk. It could mean
savings for you as well.
- Prioritise the traditions that mean the most to you and your family. Holiday time is a
time for togetherness. There are many activities that you and your family can do
together, at home. As we are blessed with fantastic weather at this time of the year,
you can make the most of it by enjoying fun activities in your own garden.
There are countless activities to do with your family – and they won’t cost an arm and a leg to do:
- Watch a Christmas movie. Or any movie that makes you laugh.
- Bake biscuits and decorate them with silver sprinkles. The whole family will enjoy
- Play charades – a fun game, especially loved by youngsters, it will make everyone
- Take some time for yourself. Set aside some ‘me’ time. Whether you decide to spend
this time lazing in bed with a good book, or watching your favourite sit-coms, do it.
Careful and thoughtful planning can ensure that you have a peaceful, restful holiday season.
Have a peaceful holiday season. Speak to One Debt today